This is a question I am often asked during my Instagram trainings: how do I make my Instagram posts clickable to generate traffic to a website?
As the social network is increasingly used by brands and influencers looking to market products & services, it is important to redirect potential customers to a web page outside of Instagram to complete a commercial transaction.
So what are the different options available to add a clickable link to a post?
1) Add a clickable link on a publication with Instagram Shopping
This is undoubtedly an essential feature for all e-merchants: the possibility of adding one or more clickable link (s) on a publication to redirect to the online store of the business is a great way to make shopping easier for Internet users.
What is Instagram Shopping?
Instagram Shopping is a tool offered by the social network to identify products on the posts of an account. Here’s how it looks:
- the mention “Show products” appears at the bottom left of the publication to inform Internet users of the identification of commercial items
- the list of identified products is then displayed:
- After clicking on one of them, you will be offered to go to the product’s e-commerce page:
You will have to respect certain conditions and follow very specific steps to be able to use the Instagram Shopping feature on your publications:
- do you sell physical products?
- does your business comply with the conditions provided by the social network?
- have you converted your account to professional profile ?
- have you synchronized your account with a Facebook page?
Follow the procedure provided by Instagram to try to take advantage of this functionality.
2) Add a call to action in your post to encourage clicking on the link of the biography 2>
If there are multiple reasons you can’t take advantage of Instagram Shopping for your business, you can still generate traffic with a post. However, you will need to be a little more cunning.
To make an Instagram post clickable, you will need:
- add a call to action in your post caption
- edit link in your bio
- use a link shortener to see the number of clicks
- use a Linktree type tool to display on a single page multiple links that you have promoted on your account
Here is an example below:
To go further:
Trainer & social-media consultant, I am the author of the “Community Manager Toolbox” at Editions Dunod. I have trained several thousand employees in the professional use of social networks since 2011.
Join me on Twitter and Instagram .