How to advertise on Instagram 2021
Advertising on Instagram allows you to reach a new audience of users in a short time, encourage them to subscribe or make a purchase. Among the advantages of Instagram advertising, one can also highlight the variety of formats, clear customization for a specific demographic group, the ability to filter the audience for impressions. Without exaggeration, this is one of the most successful and effective promotion methods that works. It is only important to correctly build an advertising campaign and launch it. And in this article we will tell you in detail how to make an advertisement on Instagram, give examples of advertising campaigns, consider all the subtleties and nuances.
Types of Instagram Ads
Over the 10 years of its existence, Instagram has turned not only into a social network beloved by millions, but also a huge marketplace where millions of goods and services are sold, thousands of brands are advertised. Therefore, the launch of advertising on this social network can be called one of the most important stages of business promotion today.
All types of advertising can be roughly divided into two groups:
- official social media advertising;
- promotion through bloggers.
Each of these options has its own advantages. For example, bloggers can boast a “warm” and loyal audience, and targeting is easier to control.
Official Instagram Ads
Targeted advertising on Instagram allows you to clearly select the audience for displaying messages. This advertising option is ideal for B2C businesses, increasing sales of goods and services.
You can sort the audience for displaying targeted ads by the following criteria:
- region of residence;
- behavior and interests;
- educational level.
Don’t forget that Instagram belongs to Facebook. For tracking and filtering users by behavior and interests, Facebook algorithms and its database are used. Thanks to this system, it is known what users are interested in, what they are interested in, and even what they like to eat. In addition, Facebook algorithms track the geolocation of users, which makes it possible to determine which establishments and stores the audience visits, how often they travel and who they are friends with.
Such an abundance of filters and extensive information about users allows you to advertise for a specific target audience and not pay for extra views. It also makes targeting one of the most effective promotion methods.
The advantage of official advertising is the variety of formats.
Advertising in the Instagram feed
Sponsored posts in the feed can be placed in several formats. It could be:
- Photo advertising. This is the simplest option that allows you to profitably showcase your products and services with one shot. The image can be either square or rectangular.
- Video ads. This option allows you to enhance the effect of your ads with motion and sound. Statistics show that videos get more attention than posts and can better communicate the benefits of a brand. The maximum video length is up to 120 seconds.
- Carousel Gallery. This is a good option when you want to display multiple products at once. In total, you can upload up to 10 photos or videos to the gallery.
- Selection ads. This format allows you to showcase several products that work well with each other and motivate viewers to make a big purchase right away.
Advertising in Stories
Ads in Stories take up the entire screen and create the most immersive experience. A static photo lingers on the screen for 5 seconds, and the maximum movie length is 60 seconds.
The key advantage of advertising in Stories is the fact that more than 500 million users visit this section every day. In addition, there are no unnecessary details on the screen during viewing, which allows you to fully concentrate on viewing.
If professional images with logos are mainly used for advertising in the feed, then stories can be added creative and make them as similar as possible to a custom post.
Advertising in the “Interesting” section
Interesting feed is a place where users select new content and make spontaneous purchases. This section is compiled individually for each user, taking into account his interests and preferences. For advertisers, this section is a good opportunity to reach a new audience and reach people who are looking for something new.
For a section, you can order ads in three formats:
- photo and video grid;
- a scrollable photo and video feed;
- a scrollable video feed.
Advertising with bloggers and in publics
Bloggers have authority among their audience and the credibility of the blogger is automatically transferred to the advertising brand. In addition, such ads are more native and have no format restrictions. This can be a direct recommendation in a post or “by chance” the mentioned product and brand in a story.
You can also get into public advertising. To do this, you need to find a suitable community on the social network and contact its administrators with an appropriate proposal. Usually in the publics of social networks, contacts are published, which you need to contact to resolve cooperation issues. Community creators can promote your brand with their sponsored posts by seamlessly integrating marketing blocks into regular content. Also, the administration of the public can use your advertisement that you have provided to it.
The main disadvantage of advertising among bloggers and in publics is the difficulty in selecting an audience. In addition, getting into ads for top influencers and publics is not so easy. Firstly, there are many who wish, and secondly, it is important that the values promoted by the blogger correspond to the ideas of the brand.
Requirements for ad placement
Although Instagram offers several ad placement options, it is recommended that you adhere to the following guidelines to create quality ad content in any of them:
- Minimum resolution: for a square image – 600×500; horizontal 600×315; vertical 600×750 pixels.
- Maximum resolution: for all image formats 1936×1936.
- Maximum video size: 4GB
- Maximum photo size: 30 MB.
- Maximum duration: 2 minutes.
- Maximum text length: 2200 characters.
- Aspect ratio: square – 1: 1; landscape format – 1.91: 1; vertical orientation – 4: 5.
The Stories section is slightly different from the format of the main feed. Of course, you can make an advertisement of any size that meets the requirements on the list. However, to make advertising in Stories look as organic as possible, it is recommended to use creatives with an aspect ratio of 9:16. It is this ratio that corresponds to the full-screen format displayed in stories. For dynamic video ads, the recommended ratio is 1.91: 1.
Supports Instagram all popular formats – MP4 or MOV for video; JPG or PNG for photo.
How to buy advertising on Instagram
You can place ads on Instagram through the mobile application itself or Ads Manager Facebook. There are no key differences, but since the second option is more popular, let’s take a closer look at it.
If you are just starting to use Instagram, then before you start creating ads, you need to correctly design your profile:
- Think of an interesting nickname that reflects your brand.
- Choose a colorful avatar.
- Start creating quality posts and fill your profile.
Advertising on Instagram is available only to business profile owners. You can transfer your page to a business profile completely free of charge by going to your Instagram account settings.
To get into Instagram ads, you also need a Facebook page for the company. You can create it in a few minutes, and when the page is ready, you should link it to your Instagram account in the settings.
Before moving on to the next step, prepare your ad content for publication. Please note that Instagram allows you to post not only new videos, but also existing posts as advertising. To use the second option, find a post you like and click on the “Promote” button below it.
Setting up ads
Advertising is configured via Ads Manager, which allows you to fine-tune the audience for impressions. After opening the manager, you will need to complete several steps to configure:
- Select the goal of your promotion. This can be an increase in brand awareness, conversions, leads. The settings will change slightly depending on the target selected. For example, by choosing “Conversions” as your goal, you can easily tune your ads to a specific cost per conversion.
- Specify where users will go after clicking on the ad. This could be a website, an application, or your messenger pages.
- Next, you need to configure which audience your ads will be shown to. You can set up ads for an existing audience, for example, if you have previously used Facebook ads or create a new one. When creating a new audience, you can include in it those people who are already in your audience list, and also expand the audience to show by selecting “Similar audience”. In the latter case, Facebook’s algorithm will select new users who are similar in behavior to those who have already interacted with your audience.
- Next, specify geotargeting by selecting a region through a search or by placing a marker on the map, as well as specifying a radius. You can specify that you are looking for people who live here permanently, travelers or those who recently visited this place. You can mark several places at once.
- Next, enter the gender, age, languages and interests of the people to whom the ad will be shown. In this case, you should be guided by the portrait of your ideal client.
- You can also narrow down your audience of impressions by leaving only people who have actively interacted with your account.
Determine how long you want to show your ad, select the display formats you are interested in. You can also set a maximum company-wide budget or specify a daily budget.
When all the display parameters are specified, it’s time to create the ad itself. To do this, select the ad format, upload your content, add a signature if necessary.
In the demo window, you will immediately see the final version of the ad. This is how users will see it in their feed or Stories. If everything suits you, select “Publish”.
The cost of advertising on Instagram depends on many factors:
- selected audience;
- publication format;
- number of impressions.
Before submitting an advertisement, the user will be notified of the exact cost of each impression, budget for the day and for the entire publication time. The cost of showing on Instagram is determined based on the auction. This means that the more advertisers target a given user audience, the higher the cost per serving of ads for it.
Benefits of Instagram Ads
The ability to advertise on Instagram provides you with the following benefits:
- You can run a marketing campaign with a small budget.
- The profitability of such advertising is comparable to physical advertising media, media marketing.
- You can make operational changes to publications, adjusting them to the promoted products, the preferences of the target audience.
- Only your target audience is covered.
- You can set up promotions targeting the business accounts of competitive firms and their followers.
- It is not necessary to create a separate website to promote new services and products.
- Create and set up a marketing campaign in less than 30 minutes.
Examples of advertising campaigns
Instagram targeting ads are a great solution for brands of different calibers. With its help, both small companies and world famous brands can be equally effectively promoted.
One of the market pioneers, as well as the most striking example of the power of targeting from Instragram, is the advertising company Gymshark, launched in 2017 on the occasion of Black Friday. About 40% of all sales during the campaign came from Instagram, and the costs of the company paid off 6.6 times.
Instagram ad formats allow you to produce interesting campaigns. For example, the well-known brand of technology Samsung, on the occasion of the release of a new smartphone, the main feature of which was a camera, launched an advertisement on Instagram. The carousel featured several pictures taken with a smartphone in interesting places. This clearly demonstrated the capabilities of the smartphone, and also allowed users to admire the colorful pictures.
The Spanish eyewear brand Meller has shown a good example of successful and inexpensive advertising. The advertising campaign took place in Stories, which reduced the cost of attracting one customer by about 35%, and the click-through rates increased by about 20%.
But the Milton & Goose ad campaign is an example of how advertising on Instagram can make a brand recognizable. The company sells unique educational toys, which cannot be classified as spontaneous purchases. The ad was launched on the eve of Black Friday, and its main task was to remind users of themselves who have already interacted with the brand.
For advertising content, the company turned to influencers with whom it previously collaborated and asked them to take photos of children playing with their products. User generated content works very well on Instagram, which is confirmed by the results of the advertising campaign. More than 50% of all new customers learned about the brand on Instagram, and sales increased 4.6 times.
Tips and tricks
These examples of successful campaigns confirm that advertising on Instagram gives good results. But it is important to understand that ordering ads is only a small part of what is required to achieve the desired conversion. If you want your advertising campaign to be successful, you should definitely:
- Create quality content. Instagram allows you to explain and share emotions in the most understandable language – the language of images. Create ad content that engages and retains the user.
- Choose the right format. If you want to showcase your products, a carousel or video carousel will do. If the stake is on text, then choose a photo format. Feel free to experiment with one of Instagrammer favorite formats – Stories.
- Determine your target audience. Before ordering advertising, be sure to work on determining your target audience. By showing ads only to those users who are interested in it, you can save your advertising budget and attract as many new customers as possible.
- Make the right balance. It is believed that the amount of text in the image should not exceed 20%. If you have something to add, it is better to leave a signature to the post.
If you are still thinking whether it is worth spending money on advertising on Instagram, then remember a few facts about this social network. About 84% of the Instagram audience likes to buy from small brands. More than 500 million users open the section with stories every day, and 72% of them watch stories to the end. An active Instagram audience, on average, clicks on ads twice as often as they do on other social networks.