Travel guides are the new format for Instagram content. What to do with him?
Instagram guides or tips are a new social network functionality for creating voluminous materials that go beyond regular posts. These can be step-by-step instructions, country guides, product selections, and whatever you have the imagination to do. Initially, guides were available for a limited number of profiles, but since November 2020, all Instagram users can create them. The advantage of Instagram travel guides is that your posts or products get extra reach for free.
How to create an Instagram guide: instructions
- Go to your page and click on the plus sign in the upper left corner.
- Choose Tips or Travel Guide (the name depends on the operating system of your smartphone).
- Select the type of guide.
- “Places” is the best option for pages of tour operators, private guides or travel bloggers. Add interesting locations (restaurants, museums, parks), cities to visit, the best hotels and resort beaches to your selections. Geotags can be taken from your own or saved posts, and you can also search on Instagram.
- “Products” – a selection of products from any accounts that have enabled the Instagram Shopping Tags function. This guide is suitable for clothing, footwear and accessories brands, beauty bloggers, stylists.
- “Publications” is the most popular type of guides, as it is enough to make a selection of already published posts on the same topic. This format will suit any business or blogger who runs their Instagram page. Therefore, we will dwell on its creation in more detail.
- Select posts for collection. For example, “5-star hotels in Turkey with a water park”, “10 books for novice designers”, “Why you should buy an apartment in our residential complex”.
- Come up with a title and description of the collection, the title of each post.
- Save your finished selection as a draft, or publish it right away. The draft will appear in the profile in the section with guides.
- In the future, you can delete the published guide, add new posts to it, or change the descriptions.
- To draw attention to the collection, share it in Stories. To do this, click on the airplane icon in the upper right corner.
If your fantasy is over: ideas for Instagram guides
Create step-by-step instructions (one step – one guide card)
Let’s say on your page you tell how to properly promote your site using SEO. You have already written about different stages of promotion in separate posts (technical optimization, buying links, working on usability, etc.). For the convenience of readers, they can be combined into one guide and made step-by-step instructions.
Tell us where to find you – collect store and branch addresses in one place
If you have several shops or cafes in different parts of the city, add their addresses to one guide.
Make product selections
Top best gifts for the New Year, shoe models from the latest collection, discount products – if you have connected Instagram Shopping Tags, you can come up with dozens of collections on different topics.
If you told your subscribers about how you moved to Bali or created your own business, and this story stretched over several posts, collect them in a selection.
Organize your profile navigation
Use guides instead of navigation hashtags for posts with one topic. For example, publications in the account of a manufacturer of building mixtures can be combined into the guides “Tips for Tiling”, “Waterproofing”, “Building Pools”.
Secrets of Instagram guides
- A maximum of 30 cards can be added to a guide, and the maximum number of characters for a description is 2200.
- The optimal title for a guide is 40 characters. Technically, you can write more, but the rest of the text will be hidden behind ellipses, and readers will not see it.
- It is allowed to add saved posts from other people’s accounts or posts from your profile to collections, but IGTV cannot be placed in them.
- Travel guides can only be created on the mobile version of Instagram. Therefore, if you want to write a long eyeliner, type the text in advance on the computer.
- You cannot leave comments or likes to guides. Therefore, it is not yet clear how to assess their effectiveness.
Creating Instagram Tips is an easy way to draw attention to your content. Moreover, the social network is additionally promoting the new format, showing such publications in recommendations and smart feed. Use the guides ahead of your competitors to get the most out of them.
We invite you to discuss this article
Have you tried out the new Instagram content format yet? How is he to you?
- Join the discussion.
- Ask questions to the author.
- Leave comments.