Types of Instagram accounts
Instagram was conceived as a social network where people could share photos with each other. Initially, the functionality and personal account for all users was the same. There were two types of accounts – private and public. With the development of the social network, other types of Instagram accounts have appeared, each of which has its own characteristics. We invite you to get to know them.
How many types of Instagram accounts are there?
Instagram has grown tremendously over the years, as have the needs of its users. As the site developed, it was increasingly used for commercial purposes, but business representatives experienced a number of inconveniences when maintaining an account.
The key ones are:
- Lack of statistics. The development of the account could be judged only by the number of likes under the publications and the growth of subscribers.
- Inability to quickly contact the account owner. Initially, it was only possible to indicate the phone number in the BIO, but not all clients are ready to bother with the correspondence of the number to clarify the details.
- Lack of official promotion methods. For a while, it was possible to promote accounts only with the help of massliking and mass following.
In this regard, the administration of the social network has introduced several more types of accounts that would satisfy the needs of different users. Currently, there are three types of accounts on Instagram . While they are similar in many ways, they all offer different features that will be useful to a specific segment of users.
Types of Instagram Accounts
Choosing the right account type is key when building an Instagram promotion strategy. It is important that the functionality of the profile matches what you plan to use it for.
We have analyzed each type of Instagram account, found out their features, advantages and disadvantages to help you choose the one that would ideally fit the specifics of your activity.
Personal Instagram accounts are ideal for sharing content with your friends and family. They should be chosen by people who are not interested in monetizing their posts, do not sell any goods or services, but just came to the social network to have fun and chat with interesting people.
Your personal Instagram account has all the features you need to create content and communicate with your followers. Basic account holders can post, release Stories and live streams. You can add one clickable link to the BIO and link your Instagram account to your Facebook page.
A key feature of personal accounts is the ability to make an account private, that is, hide basic information about it for subscribers, or hide your friends list.
If privacy is your all, then it is worth choosing a personal account, as this is the only type of profile that has this functionality.
- has all the basic functions for communicating with other users and supports all available content formats;
- the only account type where you can choose between a private or public account;
- you can do without linking to a Facebook page.
- cannot add contact details;
- no useful features for monetization;
- no functions for statistics and analytics.
In 2019, the Instagram administration introduced a new type of profile – the Creator Account. This type of profile is best for blog authors, influencers, public and community leaders, artists, and all content creators.
Account owners can choose a category, which will be signed in gray font under the nickname. There are many options for categories: blogger, public figure, tutor, entrepreneur, artist, fashion designer, singer, athlete, writer …
Since the huge amount of incoming messages can be a burden for many, and especially for influencers, public figures, freelancers, creatives, the developers added the ability to manage messages in the creator’s account. There are three tabs in the “Direct” of the author’s account:
- “Main” for important messages;
- “General” for messages that you would like to come back to later;
- “Requests” – messages from accounts that the account owner is not subscribed to.
You can set up notifications for each category separately.
The author account also has direct functions for monetizing posts. In particular, the ability to brand advertising posts for official collaboration with brands has been added. The ability to add contacts has also been improved – you can add email, phone number, physical address to your biography.
With an author account, users get access to the Creator Studio. With this tool, you can view profile statistics right from your desktop, as well as schedule and edit your posts.
- there is access to analytical information and statistics;
- flexible profile setting – you can make the account look like a personal one or enable the display of categories and contacts;
- you can create and manage promotions;
- upon reaching more than 10,000 subscribers and checking the account, it becomes possible to add clickable links to Stories;
- you can customize responses and filters in Direct;
- Branded Content Tools and Creator Studio can be accessed.
- the account cannot be closed as private;
- you can only link an account to one Facebook page.
Business accounts are designed for businesses, organizations, brands, suppliers of goods and services. Regardless of how small or large your business is, you can convert your profile to a commercial one and promote it even more efficiently.
Commercial Instagram allows you to access detailed account statistics. You can track not only the activity of users under posts, but also see how many of them interacted with contacts (called, viewed the address on the map).
Business accounts on Instagram can create advertisements and promote their publications, and also have the ability to add clickable links to Stories if they have 10K or more subscribers.
One of the most entrepreneur-friendly features is Quick Answers, which lets you add short answers to your most frequently asked questions.
Another notable option is Instagram Shopping. With its help, you can mark the products for sale on your publications and immediately indicate their cost, a link to the site. It will make it much more convenient for customers to buy, since they will no longer need to clarify the cost in the comments and wait for a response with purchase details in Direct.
Several call-to-action buttons can be added to business profile posts:
- Make an appointment.
- Get tickets.
- Buy gift cards.
- Order food.
This is a convenient functionality so that users can interact with your business without even leaving the application.
- access to business intelligence and account statistics;
- the ability to order official Instagram ads and promote your posts;
- quick responses can be configured;
- there is a contact button;
- filters for incoming messages can be configured;
- when reaching 10K or more followers, it becomes possible to add clickable links to Stories;
- provides access to branding tools and Creator Studio;
- you can go through verification and get a blue confirmation checkmark;
- connecting a business profile makes a commercial page more solid in the eyes of users.
- linking to Facebook is required;
- after switching to the business profile, the page cannot be made private.
How to choose the right type of account
To choose the right type of Instagram account, you first need to understand your needs:
If you value privacy the most and plan to use Instagram mostly for entertainment and communication, a personal account type will do.
Want more control over your profile and better understand your followers – author account.
If your goal is to sell products or services, choose commercial Instagram accounts.
In general, if you are a product brand, a startup, came to Instagram to develop any of your business, then it is highly recommended to go to a business profile. A commercial Instagram account will allow you to access more functionality, make it easier for you to do business, and for your customers to interact with the brand.
Creator Profile is a relatively new type of Instagram account. It is in many ways similar in functionality to a business account. It features mainly segmentation by category, the ability to activate and deactivate the contacts option. Externally, the author’s account, if desired, can be made as close as possible to a personal one, with the only difference that the profile cannot be transferred to a private one. But it will be possible to track statistics. Perhaps in the future, Instagram developers will pay more attention to the creator account and add even more useful options to it.
How to change account type
It’s easy to change your account type:
- Log in to your Instagram profile.
- Go to the settings menu by clicking on the three horizontal lines at the top of your profile page.
- Select the “Account” section.
- If you have a personal account, you will be offered the option to switch to the author or business profile.
If you later change your mind and want to return to your personal profile again, or change the type to another, then using a similar scheme of actions you can do it.
Please note that in order to transfer an account to the category of business profiles, it is necessary to link to the company page on Facebook. Therefore, before initiating a transition, take care of creating the page or make sure you have access to it.
Instagram has long ceased to be just a social network for communicating and sharing photos with friends. Today it is also a powerful tool for business, sales, and promoting oneself as a specialist. Satisfying the needs of their users, Instagram developers have provided several categories of accounts. Each type of account has its own distinctive features. Which one to choose is up to you. But be aware: if you suddenly change your mind, you can always change your profile again.