Video format for Instagram 2021
Posting videos to Instagram is a new trend followed by both ordinary people and organizations. Any web user can shoot and post his content on this social network, if, of course, he chooses the right video format for Instagram.
Which video formats Instagram supports
Due to the fact that Instagram is focused on mobile gadgets, the creators of this social network have done everything possible so that the videos posted on it run smoothly on smartphones and tablets. The video that was filmed on the phone can definitely be published. However, if you shoot videos with a professional camcorder, you will have to check if they meet the requirements of Instagram.
You can post videos of the following formats:
For videos shot in landscape orientation, the following requirements apply:
- resolution – not less than 600 × 315 px;
- the recommended aspect ratio is 1.9: 1;
- “weight” – no more than 4 GB;
- duration – no more than 1 minute.
For square videos:
- resolution – not less than 600 × 600 px;
- aspect ratio – 1: 1;
- “weight” – up to 4 GB;
- duration – up to 1 minute.
For vertical movies, the same requirements apply, except for the resolution (at least 600 × 750 px) and the aspect ratio (4: 5).
Instagram only supports 2 codecs – H.264 and VP8. As for the bitrate (the amount of data that is transmitted per unit of time), it should not exceed 3500 kb / s. It is advisable to download videos with a bitrate of 3000 kb / s, otherwise the video quality will not be very good.
When thinking about posting video content, keep in mind that vertical videos are not the best option for posting to Instagram. This is due to the fact that when viewed from a mobile phone, they occupy most of the display. Consequently, people are uncomfortable to like or comment on such videos.
For Instagram Stories
A video posted to Instagram Stories must meet the following requirements:
- vertical format with aspect ratio 9:16;
- “weight” is not more than 4 GB;
- duration no more than 15 seconds (it is possible to download longer videos, which the system will automatically divide into parts of 15 seconds each);
- resolution from 600 × 1067 to 1080 × 1920 px.
You can publish videos in Instagram Stories in the same formats as for posts.
In the summer of 2018, the creators of the social network developed a new service IGTV, which is an analogue of YouTube. The main purpose of it is the publication of long videos. Here the maximum length of the roller is increased to 10 minutes. Verified accounts can post videos up to 1 hour in length.
The basic requirements for videos for IGTV are practically the same as for content for stories. However, only 1 format is supported here – MP4. Developers consider it to be the best option for downloading large video files.
We also need to mention the additional video requirements for IGTV:
- vertical aspect ratio 9:16 or horizontal aspect ratio 16: 9;
- the minimum allowable frame rate is 30 frames / s;
- the largest “weight” of a video with a length of up to 10 minutes – 650 MB;
- the largest “weight” of a video with a length of 10-60 minutes is 3.6 GB.
How to change the video format
If the characteristics of the captured video on Instagram do not correspond to those required for posting on the social network, they need to be changed. Otherwise, the system will automatically compress the roller to the required parameters. Usually, compression is performed to the minimum values, which leads to a significant reduction in quality.
You can personally change the characteristics of the video through certain applications and services. There are programs for both a computer and a smartphone / tablet. Most Popular:
- Adobe Premiere;
- Sony Vegas.
Change video format with Movavi:
- Click on the Add Files button and click on Add Video.
- Select the required video in the window that appears and click on the “Open” button.
- Specify which format you want to convert the file to.
- Click on the “Start” button to start converting the video into the specified format. When the conversion is complete, the movie folder will open.
In Adobe Premiere:
- Drag the video directly to the application window with the mouse.
- Click on “Add Files” to upload the video files.
- Click on the triangle-shaped shortcut that says “Convert all files to:”. Specify the format to convert the files to.
- Click on “Convert All”. The conversion procedure will start, and you can follow its progress on a special indicator.
Through Sony Vegas:
- Load the video file into the application. To do this, look at the left side of the Sony Vegas interface. It contains a file manager, shows the structure of disks, folders that are on the PC and gadgets connected to it. Go to the folder where the video is located, drag it to the scale, which is located along the bottom of the working window. The app will determine the length of the video itself.
- Since the program itself inserts transitions into new videos, and you only need to change the format, get rid of the useless effect, otherwise it will be shown in the video. To do this, right-click on the transition shortcut and click on “Remove effect”.
- Click consecutively on “Create” – “Create video slideshow” – “Create videos in other formats”. The app will show you all the available formats. You can write the name of the required format in the search bar – the program will offer you the options corresponding to your request. Specify which video format for Instagram you need, click on the “Next” button.
- Specify the codec for conversion, frame size, picture and sound quality. For fine tuning, click on “Advanced”, you will be shown hidden options. After setting the required parameters, click on “Convert”. Wait for the conversion to complete.
There are also many Internet services where the conversion is performed online. You just upload the file you need to the system, then start the conversion and download the modified video of the required format.
How to download video without losing quality
To ensure that the video you upload does not lose its quality, make sure that it meets the requirements for video files uploaded to the social network. This way you will avoid “cutting back” the parameters, after which even videos shot with a professional camera can look as if they were filmed with the cheapest smartphone.
If the video is uploaded for IGTV, it is desirable that it has the following parameters:
- progressive scan;
- 2 consecutive B-frames;
- stereo sound;
- sampling rate 96 or 48 kHz;
- 4: 2: 0 color subsampling.
An ordinary user is unlikely to have problems uploading videos to Instagram. The problem of video non-compliance with the established requirements is relevant for those who blog on Instagram and shoot videos on a professional camera. But it can be easily solved using the tips suggested above.